Monday, September 17, 2012

Yo, Mitt, You're Talking About Me

If he whole internet can be believed, Mitt Romney said this at a Republican fundraiser:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.
I would just like to go an record saying that I support Barack Obama, and I have paid income tax every single year of my adult life. Our family's health care has been paid by my job or my wife's throughout our marriage. We pay our own mortgage, and buy our own food.

Mr. Romney, if you really think that only a freeloader could support a generous welfare state, then you are an idiot, with no knowledge of either history or human nature. And if you don't believe it but just said it to please an audience of Republican millionaires, you need to make a whopper of an apology, and then stop saying whatever you think will please the people you need to please at the moment.

1 comment:

pootrsox said...

Applause to you for that statement!!

I join you in each of the categories you describe, though I admit that I suckle at the public teat via Medicare, my state teachers' pension (into which I paid what you are paying in FICA taxes) and a pittance of Social Security (which I also paid into, though the amount for which I qualify in "entitlement" is depreciated by having my teachers' pension reduce my pension b/c of WEP).